Monday, January 30, 2012

Trying Again

Being a mom is a hard job.  Sometimes I feel like I fail.  Sometimes I feel like I'm a rather good mom.  Sometimes I just want to lock myself in my room for 10 minutes to get a break from it all. Sometimes I want to take a break from the cleaning/laundry/everything else and just play with the kids.  It's hard to find a balance. 

The last few months I have felt like the kids are a bit out of control.  I have tried different reward/consequence systems for behavior in the past and they seem to work for a while and then fade out.  I have combined a few of the things I have done in the past for my latest attempt at a peaceful home (is that even possible with 4 boys???).  I have a chart they can move up or down on depending on their behavior.  If they make it to the top they get a daddy dollar (which they can buy rewards with) and if they go to the bottom they have to pick a consequence from the consequence jar (my favorite being "rub mom's feet"-most of them are cleaning projects).  

I always have a hard time with rewards because I feel like kids are part of the family and they need to contribute without getting a reward.  It's something they should do because they are part of the family.  However, it's nice to be rewarded.  The rewards cost little to no money.  Most of them are one-on-one time with mom or dad, which we need to do more of anyway.  



We have a job chart that has been working GREAT for a few months now.  It's simple, not very cute (definitely not pinterest worthy!!!), but it WORKS and that's what matters.  I remember my mom had a similar one and it seemed to work.  We just rotate it every day.  I still have to help with some of the dish-duties, but they do pretty good.  I could probably require more chores from them, but I feel like for now this is good enough. 


Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Abbie said...

That is a GREAT idea!

Emily said...

I agree, momhood is a tough job. Great ideas!!

Michelle said...

I snooped around and found your blog! We are having similar issues around our house...it's always changing what works around here! Thanks for the comment. It's fun to catch up on blogs...I need to be better about posting!