Monday, November 7, 2011

Live In Thanksgiving Daily

Our Relief Society Lesson yesterday was about Thanksgiving and based on the talk "Live in Thanksgiving Daily" by Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin (BYU devotional Oct. 2000). I loved the message that was shared and the comments of the sisters. I think of the darkest times in my life and they are the times I was the most ungrateful. What a change in attitude gratitude can make. I love this quote from the talk:

President Joseph F. Smith proclaimed: “The grateful man sees so much in the world to be thankful for, and with him the good outweighs the evil. Love overpowers jealousy, and light drives darkness out of his life. Pride destroys our gratitude and sets up selfishness in its place. How much happier we are in the presence of a grateful and loving soul, and how careful we should be to cultivate, through the medium of a prayerful life, a thankful attitude toward God and man!” (Gospel Doctrine, 5th ed. [1939], 263).

A few of the people I am thankful for:

1. Christ. It's amazing how trials bring you closer to Christ. My relationship with Him has grown so much this year. I have learned to trust in Him. I've still got leaps and bounds to go but I am headed in the right direction.
2. Nick. He is having a hard time with this move and I know he did it for me. I am so grateful that he cares enough about me to make such a huge life change. I am grateful for his fun personality. He really is my best friend and I love him.
3. Carson. I always wanted to have a girl first so she could help with the younger sibling. I don't think a girl could compete with Carson. He is so kind and patient with his brothers. He has a very obedient spirit and he makes me want to be a better person.
4. Tanner. He is little but full of spunk. I love that he wants "special mom time" with me. He has a wide range of emotions and doesn't hide what he feels. I always know where I stand with him. He is probably the hardest of my kids to get close to, but he cares deeply.
5. Kyler. My little Ky-Ky. Can't help but smile when you think of him. His daddy's boy through-and-through. I love his hugs and kisses and snuggles. Even though he loves his daddy there is a part of him (and I do think it's a rather large part) that loves his mommy too!
6. Micah. My little angel. He has been a great source of happiness to me since he was born. I have always wanted 4 kids so I enjoyed every part of him think he would be my last. I soak it up and really do enjoy him. Definitely the baby of the family. He rules the house and I love him.
7. My parents. They are amazing and I miss being closer to them.
8. My sisters. I love talking to them and sharing joys/heartaches/ideas/frustrations.
9. My brothers. I know they would do anything for me.
10. My in-laws. I look at all the crazy people out there and think I am pretty lucky to have such good in-laws. They really are my second family.
11. I was going to stop at 10 but I have to include friends. I have so many great friends and they mean a lot to me. I can't name them all out of fear that I would leave someone out. It's awesome to have so many friends that I can't list them all!

http://lds.org/ensign/2001/09/live-in-thanksgiving-daily?lang=eng&query=live+thanksgiving+daily

No comments: