I don't know how old I was when my Dad started doing a special Valentines breakfast. I would guess I was 8 or 9. We came downstairs for breakfast and he had made us something special (I don't remember exactly what that first year) and had gotten us each a heart-shaped mylar balloon. My sister and I put our balloons up above the curtain rod in our bedroom and I think they stayed there until my parents moved out of Star Valley.
I looked forward to Valentines Day every year because my Dad made it special. In High School I always hated it when the girls would walk around with flowers from their boyfriends because it made me feel bad that I didn't get flowers (or have a boyfriend). One year my dad sent a single wrapped rose to me at school and I got to be the one carrying flowers (nobody had to know it was from my dad).
I have tried to keep the tradition alive because I loved how fun it made Valentines Day. My boys love it and I love doing it for them and Nick. I normally would just borrow my Dad's heart waffle iron but we live kind of far away for that now so I had to improvise. I saw an idea for cinnamon roll waffles on someone's blog and then heart shaped cinnamon rolls on pinterest and came up with this...
Lots of smiles so I would say it was a success!
No comments:
Post a Comment