Thursday, May 31, 2012

Oh What Do You Do In The Summer Time?

I'm not going to lie...I am not one of those moms that bawls when her kids go to school.  I think I cry more at the thought of summer.  I haven't been very excited to have all the kids home ALL the time.  Normally we spend a lot of time with family over the summer.  This year I don't have the luxury of packing up the kids and heading to Grandma's and Grandpa's for the afternoon.  Nor do I have the wonderful days when Grandpa calls to see if he can kidnap the kids for a day or Grandma wanting to take them to the movies.

So, I've been wanting to do something fun over the summer that will keep us entertained.  Of course, I want to throw a little educating in the mix while we're at it.  One of my best friends in high school has a sister that does a summer camp with her kids.  Each week she would do a different theme with them.  Some are educational, some are not.  I sent her a message on fb and she sent me some great information.  I have combined her ideas with mine.  

Here is the GENERAL outline for our summer camp.

June:
Science
Sports
Animals
Spy

July:
Patriotic/Pioneers
Army
Space
Ninja

August:
Pirates
Scooby Doo (still not sure about this one, but I think the younger boys will like it)
Knights

With each theme I will incorporate reading, writing, crafts, and some field trips.  With this as well as weekly trips to the library, park playgroup, and whatever else may come up, I think we have an enjoyable summer ahead of us.  My kids are excited about it and I am too!

On a side note, I think I was feeling a little crazy when soccer and baseball sign-up time came.  We have 2 kids in soccer and 2 in baseball.  For the month of June they overlap.  That means 4 practices and 4 games every week!  Not my brightest mommy moment... :) 

3 comments:

Ciera said...

Look at you go! This sounds like fun. The boys will love it!

From a country road said...

You boys will love it & think of the awesome summer memories you will be giving them. Thanks for letting me read your blog. I am excited to read more

Chelsea said...

That's a great idea! So far I have been able to keep Brax entertained, but we've also had family in and out and will continue to do so for the rest of the summer.