Nick's family had come to stay with us so the ladies could have a girls night and go to the General Relief Society Meeting. We were late to the meeting but the talks were excellent. Afterwards we went out to eat at Olive Garden. They had just brought our food out and I had taken one bite when I got the phone call I had always dreaded. Nick, his dad, and the kids were all in a car accident. Luckily the
call came from Nick and his voice was very calm so I knew things must
okay. I still couldn't keep my heart from racing and wanting to be
there to make sure everyone was okay. Before I was even off the phone Nick's sister had gotten the check, paid, and we were on our way.
They had taken the kids to Taco Bell for dinner and were heading home. A lady in a van had pulled out in front of them to turn left. She got out in to traffic and realized she didn't have enough time to make it and hesitated. Nick slammed on his brakes but just didn't have enough time to stop. When he hit the brakes the back end of the van started coming around. He didn't want the kids to take the hit so he eased off a bit so the front end hit her. The damage was all to the front driver side corner of the van.
Carson hit his head on the back of the seat in front of him. The headrests have 2 bars going in to the back of the seat. He said that's what he hit. He had two goose eggs on his forehead but refused to let the ambulance check him out. He kept ice on it that night but seemed to be fine. It's still tender to touch but it looks good. Micah was complaining about the seat belt rubbing his neck, but there was no mark and by the time I got there he had quit complaining. I think the biggest thing for them is that they were scared and didn't understand what was going on. Nick said Micah and Kyler burst in to tears when the tow truck took the van away.
Nick was so sweet and didn't want to bother me and was trying to take care of everything himself but we had just switched car insurance a few weeks ago and didn't have the card. He had also forgotten his phone so they just had his dad's phone (therefore, none of his contacts that he could call) and they were left without a ride home. With 4 kids. So he called. I'm so glad he did.
I called my neighbor and she was so great. She came in our house and got the insurance information and took her van to pick them all up. By the time the kids were loaded we were there.
I am so grateful that everyone was okay. It was a good little reminder of how special my family is and how much I love them. Sometimes I get frustrated and feel overwhelmed with responsibility and all the work that goes in to raising children. I need to take more time to play with the kids and have fun with them. I need to remember what is important in life. Facebook is not important. Blogs are not important. Having a spotless house (not that I do) is not important. My children are. My husband is. I love them all and am lucky to have them in my life.
Hope of America
9 years ago
2 comments:
What a good dad Nick is! This definitely put things into perspective. I'm glad they are all ok.
I'm so sorry!
Post a Comment